Old 02-06-2021, 12:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar Boron Elgar is offline

Default Blackberry prune questin

On Tue, 1 Jun 2021 22:20:04 -0500, Snag wrote:

On 6/1/2021 8:18 PM, T wrote:
On 6/1/21 5:25 PM, Snag wrote:

** His Arapaho's are thornless - I have some in my berry patch .

How many years did it take yours to fruit?

They haven't yet ... but they should next spring . Two of our six were
transplanted last spring , 2 were new then - those 4 plants were very
stressed last winter , all top growth was killed by subzero temps . The
remaining 2 were new this spring , cold temps and too much rain have
been a problem .

I need to try some other variety of thornless- problem is, I do not
recall what I have, nor did I by the time they started to fruit a year
or 3 after they went in.

They fruit well enough, look great, but they do not have the deep,
wonderful flavor of the scratch-your-eyes-out old ones I spent so long
getting rid of.