View Single Post
  #4   Report Post  
Old 08-06-2021, 10:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
external usenet poster

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2021
Default Repotting: Why NOT Use Pine Bark?

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 10:27:01 AM UTC+10, wrote:
This is my question. Can I go gather say blue spruce bark from my yard and prepare it in some way to use? Can you elaborate on what you have used.

Leslie.
I prefer older trees 40 years plus put through a hammermill i use a acid and soak for 3 dads , remove and place on a wire netting cover with shade cloth. i saturate it with fresh water and let it dry for 3 days. The water from this process is the colour of tar -pitch black, but the bark that goes through this process is suitable for orchids. i then put the bark back into my 800ltr tub made of plastic . with 400ltrs of fresh water with lime and high nitrogen fertilizer and soak for 2 days. i remove the bark and dry it and the ph is 6 orchids grow better in a low PH . I then sive with a 6 to 9=10 to 14 =15 to 25 , and my orchids grow fine and flower well enough to take out many first and champ-s of show, i fertilize with aquasol for the past 50 years with out a problem.
Finer bark will work but breaks down faster and stays wetter. so you must ajust your watering to suite.
I grow orchids that need to be kept wetter like oncid allience and soft cane dens and cymbids.
Growing orchids is no secret see the problem before it happens and that takes a little time.
I use 4 bark =2 charcoal =1 Jumbo pearlite =1 of good quality scoria.
Remember 3 things orchids like =LIGHT AIR WATER get that right and your a champ grower.

LES,