Old 09-06-2021, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Plant a store bought onion?

On 6/9/21 9:33 AM, Heron wrote:
On 6/9/2021 5:38 AM, songbird wrote:
What happens if you plant a store bought onion?

Â* it might flower if the conditions are right.

Since the onion contains a LOT of food it will likely flower.
Expect the plant stem to be six feet tall with large round flowers.
They stink. But the bees love them.

So far I have only been able do grow onions from seeds
that I have harvested from green onions I planted the
bottoms from that I got from the supermarket. Those
grew. Every other onion seed I have planted 100% failed.

I am figuring that farmers grow what does not give them
a bad time, so I am after the seeds!

To add insult, about 5 miles from me are YUGE onion fields that they
grow for seeds (sold to commercial farms).
Garlic too (my garlic failed again this year). Get them
to tell you what strain they are growing: HAHAHAHAHA.
It is TOP SECRET.

So I am planing what I find at the supermarket, even
though I don't know what the strain is.

By any chance would green onions and yellow onions
cross pollinate each other? Should I separate them
away from each other if collecting seeds?