Old 10-06-2021, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
T[_4_] T[_4_] is offline

Default Plant a store bought onion?

On 6/9/21 12:55 PM, songbird wrote:
if you send me your address in an e-mail i
can send you some garlic to see if it survives there
for you. it survives here anything i do to it and
i can send quite a few small scapes and also some
bigger cloves which will give you bigger bulbs
when they grow.

Maybe in the future.

I planted four organic yellow onion bulbs from the
store. I want to see what happens. And I want
the seeds.

I also planted organic purple garlic from Trader Joe's.
It is better tasting than the bland, white stuff
from the regular supermarket. I asked Trader
Joe's if they knew the strain, but the likelihood
of them answering me is very small.

I have been suspicious for a while that farmers
will not put up with the same bull s*** that
home gardeners put up with and their stuff will
actually germinate. Home gardeners, especially
myself, always think the problem is theirs.
And with me, it usually is.

The green onions nubs I planted from the supermarket
are certainly thriving. The seeds germinated too
and love my soil. Your seed collecting instructions
worked marvelously. I plan on the same thing with
the yhe yellow onions. Bet the germinate.