Old 26-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Howard Clase

Default Plants, Carbon Dioxide and Oxygen

In article ,
Iris Cohen wrote:
It's obviously a genetic thing.

No, it's age related. I remember when the average person learned in public high
school that green plants consume carbon dioxide and produce oxygen, but in
minute amounts. Nowadays they try to cram a lot of high school material into
middle school students who are not ready for it, & the result is that they are
actually learning less.
I think I explained in another group that cranky old ladies have PMS all the
time (post menopausal syndrome).

While I agree in general about the quality of teachers, knowledge wasn't
always sensibly applied - any more than it is these days. I remember that
nurses in hospitals used to take the flowers out of the wards at night
because while they produced oxygen during the day they used it up at night
- as if the quantities involved made any difference in drafty old English
hospitals.

There was an explanation for the quality of teachers too. I was at Grammar
(High) School in the 1950's. Many of our teachers had graduated during the
depression when there wasn't much employment and taeching was one of the
few oportunities available to them, so more better qualified poeple went
into the profession than nowadays.

Howard Clase