Old 26-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Phred

Default Wollemi pine plants "soon" available

In article , "P van Rijckevorsel" wrote:
Iris Cohen schreef
Is it thought to be suitable for bonsai? What is special about this

species? How is it related to other pines? Does it belong to the genus
Pinus? How would you grow it indoors?
Iris,

+ + +
If I understand the site right it offers the opportunity to vote for having
the tree converted to bonsai! So it is up to you. If all the bonsai clubs
mobilize to vote for Wollemia bonsai, there will be!

As I understand Australia, "pine" there means a coniferous tree suitable for
making masts of sailing ships. So the one requirement a conifer has to meet
to be a pine (in Australia) is size. Taxonomic relationship has no bearing
on shipbuilding qualities and thus not on names.

Actually, "pine" is fast coming to mean about the only retail timber
generally available here; and then it comes in eight foot lengths made
up of many random length short sections glued together. And, I
suspect, is largely imported. :-(

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID