Old 27-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Blanket weed as/is a veggie filter plant

Hi John,

Maybe I need to put a small koi or some goldies in the anacharis veggie
filter! But then, the koi wouldn't stay small!

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"John Rutz" wrote in message

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
Jim was up looking at our anacharis veggie filter and lamenting the

thick
layer of stringy blanketweed forming above the anacharis (still water,

sun,
nutrients). He pulled some off to see if the anacharis was survuvung.

It
was! No blanketweed under the thick top layer.

Then it dawned on him. The blanketweed is grabbing lots of nutrients

AND
shading the anacharis. It is just ugly. So Jim pulled off a soccer

ball
sized mass of blanket weed. The anacharis shows well. All that blanket
weed is nutrient for our garden plants.

The koi seem to eat the blanketweed in our large pond. So why not let

the
blanket weed thrive in the anacharis veggie filter? The celery and

parrots
feather and hyacinth veggie filters will do thier root thing. So, now

we
have a string algae/blanketweed farm.

Anybody see a drawback beyond aesthetics?

dont see why not I grow string algae as a filter medium and for Koi
kibble in fact last year I had
no string algae and you should have seen the reaction I got when I asked
for it at the LFS ;-)
personaly I think it looks kinda neat waving in the currents of ;the
pond. much better than peas soup :-)
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico