Old 16-11-2002, 07:06 AM
Wesley Trotman

Default Explanation of "edge effects"

Dear David,

Good question, most people dont pay much attention to this place.

Graham Bell says: 'All patterns of occupation or behaviour have edges and
they offer a particularly rich envronment. This is because the edge of
anything is especially rich in species, supporting plants, animals and
activities from both its neighbouring areas, and also the species and
activities which only take place in that special zone.'

One good example is the intertidal zone on the sea shore. This is very rich
in species and energy.

Think about it and make a list. One not often thought about is that between
land and air. How about night and day.?

The edge between forrest and cleared areas can be quite a bit warmer due to
the edge of the forrest catching the wind which moves the leaves and
branches and the friction heats the trees up. So here is and energising
factor at an edge.

Can we make a list here?

All the best
wes
David Hare-Scott wrote in message
u...
I read in various places that the geometry and planting layout of a
permaculture garden should exploit "edge effects". The explanation
tends to be along the lines that where one planting meets another you
get an edge and at edges good things happen so therefore you should do
this.

What I haven't got yet is the detail of:
- what these good things at edges are
- very importantly why they happen and
- how significant the effects are.

I am not trolling for an argument - I really want to understand. Can
anybody point me to a resource that explains?

David