Old 27-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Peter H

Default Rat in yard!

"Me too." wrote in message
link.net...
Hi, just the other day, I noticed there is a rat around our deck out back.
It seems to be eating the bird food that falls to the ground, (2 bird
feeders mounted on deck.) This is a somewhat rural area and has a
population of squirrels, chipmunks, bear, groundhogs, deer, rabbits etc.
So, seeing this unfamiliar site has thrown me. We have 3 large house cats
with full sets of claws, so I'm not too worried about the rat coming in

and
surviving, or should I be? Anyway, this is 1st time I've seen a rat

around
here and I'm not sure if I need to be concerned?

What to do?

Thanks...

I'd be a bit concerned if I were you. My in-laws live in the country and had
a problem w/ rats a few years ago. They didn't know what to do about it so
got me involved. We did eventually rid them of the rodents, but it wasn't
much fun.

In their case the rats actually found a way into the house and were helping
themselves to the dog food!!

In talking to an exterminator I discovered that these rodents are capable of
climbing up the exterior of most buildings. I don't mean to be an alarmist
here, but if they are out feeding at your deck, you are probably best off
getting rid of them now, before they find a way in.

As for the cats protecting you against them, I wouldn't bank on it. The
critters that I caught were smaller than a cat, but considerably more
aggressive.

I'd consider trapping and or poison.

Peter H