Old 27-04-2003, 03:44 PM
adavisus

Default AlgaeFix anyone??

Never had a serious problem worth a fret with green water here, I keep
a lot of aquatic plants in the pond and that destroys algae most of
the year. If blanketweed ever shows up, a local dose of 0.03ppm of
copper sulphate destroys that. I figure a $7 tub of copper sulphate
should keep algae dead and gone for 10 years or so and that could do a
lot of ponds...

Any chemical 'algae' fix is never going to be anything more than a
short term fix, it is fighting against nature, not a real solution at
all, whereas upping aquatic plants and not overstocking is working
with nature, long term...

I'd be very wary of any kind of 'shelf' product sold for clearing
algae, some are based on vicious herbicides with unknown long term
secondary effects, like killing plants, killing fish... perhaps thats
intended to sell more chemicals to 'fix' the problems that emerge
months after the 'poison' winds its secondary effects out on fish and
plants.

Not what I really want to stick in my pond, deary me no, lol

regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
(andys aquatic plant list for interesting swaps)
http://groups.msn.com/pondplantaquaticplantexchange

"Ted" wrote in message m...
I was wondering if anyone on the newsgroup has tried AlgaeFix. It is
supposed to kill the floating algae without harming the plants or fish. I
have done two doses per the instructions in the last week and my water seems
to be clearing up, I can see down about 5" now where I couldnt before.