Old 27-04-2003, 11:20 PM
SugarChile

Default Help with conflicting bugbane instructions!!

A lot depends on where you live. In the deep south in the U.S., full sun
would be too much. In New England, full shade would be too deep. "Part
shade" is how I grow mine, shielded from the midafternoon sun by a nearby
apple tree. The dappled shade of your prunus might be just about right.

If they are not getting enough sun, they will let you know by not blooming
well. In my experience, they take at least a year to settle in, so don't
expect too much this first summer. At any rate, I wouldn't consider them a
great screening plant; they are a bit more airy. Have you considered
aruncus, goat's beard? They are happy in shade, have a lot of presence, and
during the week or two when they are in full bloom, they are host to an
astonishing number and variety of small bees and beneficial wasps. The bees
and wasps are totally focused on the flowers and are not at all disturbed by
being observed--it's very cool.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"spampot" wrote in message
OK, I just spent big bucks on some good-sized cimifuga
(bugbane) and filipendula for my shade garden, and now I find
totally opposite planting instructions!! My Dutch Gardens
guide says full sun to part shade for both, and the garden
center tags (some of which are those BigTag things with
pix of the plants) all say part shade to shade! What do I do
with them, anyone know? I bought them specifically to grow
tall at the back of my shade garden under a prunus, so as to
block off the street. I don't need full-sun plants. HELP!