Old 21-01-2003, 09:58 AM
len brauer

Default Drought & more

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:55:18 +1100, "Fran Higham"
wrote:

"len brauer" wrote in message

snipped

yes providing shade cloth cover for you gardens is going to help stop
the plants stressing so much, but getting the cloth and putting it up
can be a bit of a hinder. with the gravity feed water would running
drippers and soaker hoses (holes down) under the mulch work that is
waht we plan to do when we get around to pumping from the dam to a
gravity feed tank. the dripper hose may not even need drippers as such
just a small hole poked through at the right intervals. also the
soaker hoses (maybe 2 running parrallel) running the length of the
vege gardens under the mulch i reckon should come close to keeping
veges well watered.

anyone tried big container growing for veg and if so what aspect and what
sort of containers, growing medium etc?

my expereince is i have a better chanse of keeping things alive in the
ground and well mulched than what i do when they are in containers be
they small containers ie., plant pots. my opinion would be that
containers would tend to dry much more quickly, then you can't have
worms in contained plants as the worms create galleries that the water
runs down and doesn't necessarily soak the medium.

if gardening space in the yard is a premium then it just gotta be
containers.

snipped

will do hope the visit them again real soon.

selling yet?

at the moment we are staying put but that is a day by day thing we
have much to do yet to make this place attractive to others who maybe
don't share our ideas or foresight.

snipped

I'l bet you already have the Barbie lit :-))

yup got some new burners and new hose for it and all chuckle.

snipped
empty. Sodding drought!

managing to keep all plants going at present our dam has good water in
it but finances don't permit us the luxury of accessing it. we are
presently doing most watering from the tanks as the bore is not
producing much.

take care

len

--