Old 28-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Bill Spohn

Default Rhododendrons????????

When I
tried to move them they had actually rooted themselves where they had
been thrown. I dug them up and replanted them. My questions are how
big do they grow? Should I cut them back to encourage them to grow?
What should I do?

Rhodos are easily transplatable - in the War, they dug up and abandoned large
Rhodos in England to clear the way for more important uses for th eland. They
just shoved them aside and forgot them. At the end of the war, someone noticed
that they hadn't died and replanted them and they were just fine.

As for whacking them back, I'd do it 1/3 each year. This makes for an ungainly
looking shrub, but it doesn't shock it as much and you will at least get some
flowers each year - if you cut it all back at once you'll lose the flowers for
at least a year.

Bill
www.rhodo.citymax.com