Old 28-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Rich Conley

Default Snail Control

Just as a comment, Ive seen far more bettas eat ghost shrimp then ghost shrimp eat
bettas.

LeighMo wrote:

Predatory ghost shrimp? what do you people have? I had a guppy in a 20g with
50+ ghost shrimp. Guppy is just fine, how much smaller than a guppy can you
get?

Guppy fry. Ghost shrimp can easily hunt and kill livebearer fry. I've also
heard reports of them attacking small neon tetras. They bite them behind the
head, at the spine, to immoblize them.

And Frank Greco recently posted to the Freshwater Shrimp list, warning that
he's seen ghost shrimp attack bettas. He's had two male Betta splendens killed
by ghost shrimp. The ghost shrimp attach themselves to the betta's fins, rip
off pieces, and eat them. (I suspect bettas are more vulnerable than guppies,
because they're so slow.)

I always thought ghost shrimp were harmless. And so did Frank. I'd heard
stories of them attacking fish, but always assumed that it was the
similar-looking Macrobrachium species to blame. But Frank knows his shrimp.
If he says they're ghost shrimp, they're ghost shrimp. They are far more
predatory than I realized.

Leigh