Old 29-04-2003, 12:08 AM
spampot

Default Help with conflicting bugbane instructions!!

SugarChile wrote:
If it were mine, I'd go with the late afternoon sun.

OK, thanks, I'll put them there. And move the tradescantia a friend
gave me that I just put on that edge.

Have you ever considered plume poppy, Macleaya cordata? It's a lovely,
large, architectural plant, with leaves that flutter in the breeze and show
their pale undersides. The flower plumes are graceful and attractive. It
can get large, 4-6 feet,

Sounds like what I'm looking for! Never heard of it.

and for me it does well in about a half day of sun,
and likes being near trees or shrubs. It has a bad reputation as a rampant
spreader, but it's conditional. It spreads by underground runners, and in
sandy soils it can go crazy, but in my amended clay

Aha, clay is what I have, too.

it's well behaved. Any
unwanted plants can be yanked out in the spring. It also seeds itself a
bit, but for me this has not been a problem.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Thanks very much for the suggestion. It looks, from the pix I've seen
on the web, rather like goatsbeard.

"spampot" wrote in message

Thank you so much -- I always forget to post my zone. I'm in 6 or 7
depending on what the latest word is (it just changed) just south of
Baltimore, MD. I actually do have aruncus on one side, but wanted some
variety for the tall plants (I have a big area to cover). In the back
they'd be in shade except for a couple of hours in the morning; on the
north side, late afternoon sun, same with the south side only more of
it. What do you suggest?