Old 29-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Tasslehoff

Default champagne or wine yeasts for DIY CO2?

The champagne yeast I use (Lalvin EC1118)lasts nearly 5 weeks(set up fresh
bottle at 1 month mark). It comes in 5g(.176oz) bags costing roughly
US$1.30 which is enough for 3 batches at 2/3 tsp a pop. I use 1.5-2 cups
sugar with a pinch of baking soda which results in a bubble every 2.5
seconds. All my batches seem to take nearly a day to kick in for some
reason even though many reckon it only takes a couple of hours, even with
the water preheated to 38C and the bottle kept in a 26C bucket of water,
whether thats b/c of soft, mineral barren water I can't be certain.

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote in message
news
I've heard about using champagne or wine yeast for DIY CO2. How much
different is that from the normal quick rising yeast I get at the grocery
store? How much longer will it last etc. Does anyone use it successfully
and
if so, what sort of proportions are used with sugar

Changing the mixture every week or so is getting a bit tiresome
thanx alot!

--
Dave Picklyk
www.picklyk.com/aquascape