Old 29-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Alan Silver

Default It's bubble city in there, but no real plant growth !!

In article ASpra.423710$Zo.97223@sccrnsc03, Alex R
writes
In your other post, you mentioned that your nitrate is almost 0. With
over 3 Watts per gallon, that's a dangerously low level to have. I'm
surprised you don't have much algae. If you're using the standard PMDD
mixture, you should add enough to maintain an NO3 level of around 10
ppm. The lack of macronutrients N, K, and P would explain the slow
growth. Make sure your NO3 test kit is accurate and keep adding until
you get 10 ppm or more NO3. Don't
let it fall below 5 ppm.

confession
The nitrate/nitrite/ammonia levels quoted were not accurate, nor
guaranteed. I gave up checking them some time ago when the tank had been
stable for ages. With a low fish load and lots of plants, I never needed
to worry about them. I quoted from memory what they were last time I
checked. Nitrates were never zero, but always low enough to be within
happy limits
/confession

OK, I better go and check them. I will probably need a new nitrate test
kit as the one I have is a bit old. I'll monitor it and see what
happens.

Thanx for the reply.

--
Alan Silver
Please remove the "furryferret" if replying by e-mail