Old 23-02-2003, 12:10 AM
John Savage

Default Frangapani

"Sue" writes:
I need some advice on growing frangipanis from cuttings. I had some
success previously with cuttings I found at the tip - I placed them into the
ground and they all grew!! Maybe lucky?? Anyway, I wanted to grow some
more here in Karratha WA and found a lovely red flowering tree to take some
cuttings from.

Q1 Is it best to wait until the leaves drop before taking them?

I agree with all of Len's answers. :-)

Get the sticks whenever you have the opportunity, just snip the leaves
off if there are some.

Q2 How long should I leave them to "dry out???" before planting?

A week or two, left lying on a rock in dappled shade.

Q3 Should I use one of those cutting powders this time? (I didn't before)
and if so do I do that as soon as I take the cutting or when I am about to
do the planting?

Doesn't seem necessary.

I wanted to add that in my limited experience, the fragrance of the
red and pink frangipanis is disappointing. The scent of the pink I have
is actually unpleasant, fortunately it is not strong. So I'd say if you
want the plant for its strong delightful fragrance, you can't go past
the common white-with-a-gold-centre frangipani.

I planted about a dozen in sandy soil under a window shade. It turned
out to be the ideal situation: they get a few hours of direct sun each
day, but the window shade blocks most of the natural rainfall. So (in
the years when it rains for weeks on end) the cuttings cannot suffer
from wet feet; they only get water when I hose that area. I'd say I lost
only 2 of the 12 cuttings. They thrive on neglect.
--
John Savage (newsgroup email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)