Old 23-02-2003, 06:10 AM
dave

Default eucalyptus

"Audrey" scotiablue at optusnet dot com dot au wrote in
:

Hi

I am in Brisbane and am shortly moving house. I want to propagate the
large flowering eucalyptus we planted in this garden, so I can plant
it on our new 1/2 acre. I have read that it's easier to propagate
eucalyptus from seed rather than cuttings. How does one get the seed
from the gumnut, and is there any special things I should do to the
seed before planting it??

Thanks

Audrey Harvey
(the black thumb!!)

Hello,

I think that the best thing to do is do try and get gumnuts which have not
opened (but look ripe) and place them in a brown paperbag in the dark. They
should then open (after a while). I know that this method works for
callistomens and other seeds in hard seed pods. Usually eucalypts do not
need any treatment however germination can vary quite dramatically, so I
suggest collecting quite a few gumnuts.(in Growing Australian native plants
from seed they state that only 20 to 25 percent of seed produces vigorous
seedlings suitable for pricking out.

Hope this helps

David