Old 27-02-2003, 02:03 AM
animaux

Default ICE STORM!!!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I moved from Dallas to Austin three
years ago. This will be my fourth growing season in this garden. It is always
the very best garden after the third season.

I planted a bunch of wildflower seeds in my prairie garden. Last July, when we
had all that rain, believe it or not the bluebonnets began to germinate.
Larkspur is going strong, so are Indian paintbrush, many of the salvia's are
emerging and I can barely wait till the April show of wildflowers this year.
With all that summer rain last year we should have some remarkable display this
year. A lot of seed was produced.

At least none of the fruit trees were flowering yet. Between possible late
frosts and the squirrels and mockingbirds, I barely get a peach! I never mind,
though. I love that all forms of life enter our gardens and eat and live and
breed. That is far more important to me than having a nice crop of fruit. They
don't do it spitefully, as many chemheads would have you believe! Boy, I've met
some yahoo's in Texas.

I am from New York. Brooklyn, NY to be exact. I was the director of a
relatively large grower. We grew plant material for The Brooklyn Botanical
Gardens and New York Botanical Gardens in The Bronx. Things and people were a
lot different up there.

Victoria-I'll have to get out to your place sometime.

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:08:37 -0600, "Mr. Chaos 007" wrote:

Stop worrying the ice protects the plants well. i doubt if the plants you
are talking about will be hurt, especially Poppies.

Good Luck but I doubt it will be all that bad.

Dave
Gardens of the Ancients Herb Emporium and Nursery
www.gardensoftheancients.com

"animaux" wrote in message
.. .
Well, I too am worried about things, particularly since we had two days

just
before it in the h igh 70s. It is my hope that any seedlings of poppies

or
other babies coming up with withstand as long as the ice (32o) stays on

them.
It's supposed to warm up today to melt stage and no more frost is

predicted and
weather will be back to normal in a day or two, which is 69 degrees, by

45 at
night.

Fingers crossed for me, you and all us plant freaks!

Victoria

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:45:07 -0600, "Crow T Robot"

wrote:

This lingering freeze is really starting to worry me, for the sake of all

my
~30degree 'hardy' plants that I just bought, and are now hiding in the
garage under 50watt tube lights.................burrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
I fear to find out what has been destroyed after the ice storm, but can

not
yet be seen, kinda frozen in a state of cruel post-life purgatory, like

the
RingWraiths in Lord of the Rings ------
snif...

sorry....had to run with it.