Old 28-02-2003, 04:33 AM
animaux

Default ICE STORM!!!!

Boy can I relate. I had all these wonderful baby seedlings of California
poppies, and many, many other wildflowers coming up, but not true leaves yet. I
checked today and everything made it. Phew. So I went to Barton
Springs today and bought some more plants to reward the Universe! Now I have to
convince my husband. Eh, he never goes in the greenhouse, does he???

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:11:11 -0600, G a e X a v i er wrote:

Well it sort of blind sided me right after the 80 degrees, so I ran out after
it was already freezing to cover up things.

I was so upset because my winter greens (sorrel) was crisp as potato chips and
broke in two with one snap. However, today the sorrel is like nothing ever
happened except for a bit of limp look. The cilantro is fine, as is the salad
burnet.

Most lettuce is mush. The thyme is Ok. The lemon grass will come back from
the tubers. The lettuce that I covered very well is Ok as is the bok choi.

The in-ground, west side of the porch bougie seems OK. The plum tree which for
the first time since planted about 4 years ago had lots of flowers and buds.
The flowers were froze off, but any unopened buds are now coming.

The two redskin peaches were not blooming enough yet to lose many blooms from
the freeze. Most of the other stuff, I pulled in on my sleeping porch, so the
citrus trees and begonias are fine, thank goodness!!

Whew... close call!

Crow T Robot wrote:

This lingering freeze is really starting to worry me, for the sake of all my
~30degree 'hardy' plants that I just bought, and are now hiding in the
garage under 50watt tube lights.................burrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
I fear to find out what has been destroyed after the ice storm, but can not
yet be seen, kinda frozen in a state of cruel post-life purgatory, like the
RingWraiths in Lord of the Rings ------
snif...

sorry....had to run with it.