Old 10-02-2003, 07:59 PM
Gilgamesh

Default pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world)

"Brian White" wrote in message
om...
Lots of people use hydroelectric power. Some of it is used to pump
water from shallow streams. It is not as easy or cheap (in practice)
as you make it sound, to use a low flow of water to turn gears to pump
water to various heights. That is why there are not many working water
wheels now.
The reality of water power today is that people generally do generate
electricity with waterpower and some of it is used to drive motors to
pump water. It is a very roundabout way to do it in my opinion.
A whole lot of people are missing the point!
Brian white
"Gilgamesh" wrote in message

If I were using the water flow to power the pump, why on earth would I

want
to generate electricity and then drive a motor from it? Wouldn't

gearing
work? What am I missing - it must be something obvious ..

May glorious Shamash make his face to shine upon you

Gilgamesh of Uruk
(Include Enkidu in the subject line to avoid the spam trap)
"Brian White" wrote in message

There are plenty of turbines around - and an increasing number of
waterwheels of various types. I would certainly include a generator of some
sort - but you haven't convinced me that it is sensible to then use that
electricity to drive a pump. I'd rig it to be selectable - pump when wanted,
gennie as an alternative.