Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Which trees held up the best?

Well, Brad, I personally think there must be something to this climactic
change thing -- after all, the world's largest supercomputer is working on
weather, not military hardware.

Here's a link to the Earth Simulator:

http://www.es.jamstec.go.jp/esc/eng/outline.html

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Brad Heidinger" wrote in message
The very fact that so many of
these survived Hazel and Fran, plus all the smaller ice storms,
indicates it is just one more example of the changing world climate
and the more severe weather events happening lately.

What are the changing world climates? I am curious. I haven't read any
concrete evidence of any changing climates.

Maybe the hurricanes weakened the structural integrity of the trees and
the ice storm was the kicker? Ice storms are frequent in the Piedmont.
This one happened to be a more severe than others in recent years. I think
it is unfair to blame industry and fuel consumption on local climatic
events. There have been severe climatic occurrences before people
inhabited the earth. I don't think SUV owners are the culprit to an ice
storm or a hurricane. Here are a few facts:

There have been fewer hurricanes during the 20th century.

Glaciers are receding in eight mountain ranges. Advancing in three
mountain ranges.

Arctic regions are actually cooling since 1940's.

Models predict a warming of about 0.35 C per decade in the mid
troposphere. Two satellites (MSU and TOVS) and radiosondes show a cooling,
thus falsifying the IPCC models.

I don't mean to be curt, I just deal in facts. (it's my nature...get
it...nature) : )

Brad