Old 01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Emily

Default What to do.... *grin*

Oh yes indeed - garden catalogs are such fun! Just placed orders from Park
Seed and Johnny's. Can't wait for spring! We're starting with a new
construction yard (aka red clay heaven) so have a long ways to go, but at
least there's nothing to rip up. :-) We have no grass at all and don't
want it. House is in the woods, so mulch is our "grass".

We're also trying to do deer-resistant plantings, which limits the selection
but makes it challenging and fun to find good things to plant. So far have
had success with hellebores, ferns, foxglove, garden verbena, alchemilla,
iris, and lamium. The deer have munched morning glories and Japanese
maples. I keep the impatiens (which I know they love) safely on the front
portico, which is up a flight of stairs.

I'm buying seeds for mixed yarrow, tall white ageratum, and chives to add to
the mix this year, and I am sure I'll be taken in by some additional plants
when I go to my favorite nursery, Reba and Roses (in Hillsborough) this
spring.

Have fun!

Emily

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message
Anyone else sitting with catalogs and stuff surrounding them in the
evenings plotting out what they're going to do this spring? *grin*

I just placed my order for seeds over the weekend with Seeds of Change.
Now I have to figure out what I'm digging up in order to put
more/different plants/roses in. (My excuse - the previous owner of our
house put them in so they're "fair game".) The s.o. just looks at the
catalogues with their post it note markers and notations and walks away
shaking his head. I keep reminding him, more plants = less grass to mow.

In addition, I just put in 10 blueberry bushes last week and am debating
about whether I want a dwarf fig and if I do, do I want it to be a
container plant or should I dig up the bradford pear and replace it with
the dwarf fig? Anyone have any experience with dwarf figs in the the
Triangle? *grin*

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu