Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
J. Fleming

Default What to do.... *grin*

"Susan H. Simko" wrote:

I don't think I would evict the flying squirrels. I think they're more
uncommon than bluebirds in the area. I know I've only ever seen one in
the fifteen years I have lived here and it was dead. I had to get out
my mammal field guide to identify it!

How sad! I too would leave the box for the squirrels. When I first moved
to my current house some ten years ago, I heard strange noises at the bird
feeders at night. So night after night I patiently waited at my bay window
with flashlight ready. Raccons and possums and an occasional fox, but many
nights without the noise. After much patience, I was rewarded with the
sight of a family of flying squirrels leaping from tree to birdfeeders and
back again.

With a mated pair of barred owls and a resident pair of red-tailed hawks on
my property, I was afraid they were gone for good (like the one and only
fox squirrel that took to sunning on the slates). Then no sightings of them
for years. But the last couple of evenings there have been some very
squirrel-like rompings across the roof after dark and before dawn. I'm
hoping they are back again!

FYI, everything I have read recommends that you don't put bluebird
houses up too close to one another. I've got two currently in the
backyard, about thirty feet apart. Both of them are housing multiple
bluebirds right now as they tend to get together (or so I understand)
for warmth. I'm planning on asking my neighbors in the next few weeks
if I can put up houses on the trees in their backyard so we can have a
true bluebird "string".

Yes, yes! They do huddle together for warmth in the boxes. And the the
bluebird trail is a wonderful idea! My neighbors sometimes think I'm
strange when I show up with a bluebird box for free and encourage them to
put it up. I'm only half-way up the 1/2 mile cul-de-sac, but progress is
being made.

An important point on placing the boxes: 30 - 50' apart is right if they
are all out in the open and placed 4-6' above the ground level. If they
are at wood's edge or in the woods, please only expect nuthatches,
chickadees, Carolina wrens and titmice. Although last year I did have a
pair of bluebirds nest in the box that I put up for the Carolina wren that
insists on nesting inside of my garden shed (until I screened her out).
This particular box is placed under the eaves--where I have the hay for my
ponies and next to the dog run under trees. I can't figure why it was so
appealing to them, especially when I walk past and get things there a
minimum of twice a day. The wren was sure glad when they fledged their
group and could move in for their traditional two broods.

And back to more gardening conversation... Does anyone else have daffodils
poking up four or five inches like I do? This weather sure is going to
confuse some of my plants!

Oh, and one more thing that is just a charming description. A friend of
mine said that when she was little, her younger sister picked up a feather
from the ground as they were walking in a park and explaimed "Oh! What a
pretty bird leaf!" Their whole family still call feathers "bird leaves."
Only kids come up with something like that.

Judi