Old 01-05-2003, 06:45 PM
J. Fleming

Default Bluebird Houses & Daffodils Poking up was: What to do.... *grin*

A good place to start is the North American Blue Bird Society at:
http://www.nabluebirdsociety.org/

I should also say that it took three years for my bluebirds to notice and use
the boxes I had put out for them. Now seven years later, the resident flock of
twelve fly around scolding me until I feed them their daily batch of meal
worms. Spoiled little critters!

Bye for now,

Judi

MJC wrote:

This discussion has me courious. Would anyone like to give me an education
about Blue Birds and how to kep then around? I just had 2 in my back yard
and have seen them (the "in general" them ) on and off for the 6 years I
have lived in this house. If this helps, I have a pretty big back yard that
is clear and a Peach orchard at the edge. I am not sure is that qualifies as
woods or not.
Thanks to anyone in advance for any information you can give me or point me
twards.

MJ
"Diane" dfeNo Spam wrote in message
.com...
J. Fleming wrote:

snip

An important point on placing the boxes: 30 - 50' apart is right if

they
are all out in the open and placed 4-6' above the ground level. If they
are at wood's edge or in the woods, please only expect nuthatches,
chickadees, Carolina wrens and titmice. Although last year I did have a
pair of bluebirds nest in the box that I put up for the Carolina wren

that
insists on nesting inside of my garden shed (until I screened her out).
This particular box is placed under the eaves--where I have the hay for

my
ponies and next to the dog run under trees. I can't figure why it was

so
appealing to them, especially when I walk past and get things there a
minimum of twice a day. The wren was sure glad when they fledged their
group and could move in for their traditional two broods.

My one bluebird box is in my front yard with woods behind but lots of lawn
open space from several lawns on the cul-de-sac where I live. I've had
nests there for five years. There are big trees in all our yards so I
would consider it a "wood's edge" environment. So we must have just enough
meadowy area for them. In the woods, I agree that the other species you
mentioned would be the norm.

And back to more gardening conversation... Does anyone else have
daffodils poking up four or five inches like I do? This weather sure is
going to confuse some of my plants!

Yes I do. Mine were about an inch or two up. I put some mulch on them

and
they just poked further up through it! I hope they know what they are
doing.

Oh, and one more thing that is just a charming description. A friend of
mine said that when she was little, her younger sister picked up a
feather
from the ground as they were walking in a park and explaimed "Oh! What

pretty bird leaf!" Their whole family still call feathers "bird

leaves."
Only kids come up with something like that.

Judi

Couldn't possibly snip that :-)

--
Diane