Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
C.L. Lassiter

Default Bluebird Houses & Daffodils Poking up was: What to do.... *grin*

BONEUNIT wrote:
I've had 2 regular visitors to my suet feeder this winter--a pine
warbler (lovely little bird) that I think is a return from last winter and
a yellow-bellied sapsucker.

I've got the Pine Warbler too!!!! I wasn't sure if I had identified it
properly, but now that you say it's so... then it must be! This is the first
time I've seen the Warbler in 4 years living in this house. Wonder where they
came from all of a sudden?

I don't have my book with me, but I'm fairly certain that they're
winter visiters--probably head north in early spring. Just an "educated"
guess.

About the bluebird houses.... I have three and the birds finally have nested
in one. I was told by my dad a long time ago to clean them out, but do you
think that is correct? I saw someone mention that they like to cuddle up in
the houses during the winter, so maybe they need their nests? I also have
flying squirrels but have never seen them in the boxes.

I clean them out about now as I've already seen tons of bluebirds
in the neighborhood.

I had a flying squirrel use one last winter, but s/he didn't hang
around for long.

cl