Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Territorial mockingbird hogging feeder

C.L. Lassiter wrote:

As to the type of suet we put out - I've got a recipe for making suet
patties but so far have been too lazy or too busy to get a round tuit.
After experimenting with all the different types offered at Lowes, we
settled on the "peanut treat".

Yeah, they wolf that one down, but I try to buy the other with the
sunflower seeds in it as the squirrels love the peanut treat too.

We've got a few feeders in the yard - two dedicated to a wild bird seed
mix, one black oil sunflower seed, one cannola seed, one thistle and one
"bluebird treats" in addition to the two suet baskets. I've yet to see
squirrels in the suet baskets but I suspect it's because the baskets are
close to the house and they never seem to be able to get past the
sunflower seed feeder that's between them and the suet baskets.

Damned squirrels!

Low velocity air powered pellet guns act as a good deterent. Doesn't
harm the squirrels (if you can even hit them at a distance!) but it does
scare them enough to make them go away for a while.

Susan
s h simk at duke dot edu