Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Kira Dirlik

Default Territorial mockingbird hogging feeder

I have a thistle feeder (and see only crowds of goldfinches that clean
it out in a day or two), and two larger feeders where I put in a
combination of seeds from four or five bags of different seed mixes.
I have a suet basket hanging from one of the feeders. These are all
outside my windows, hanging from the eaves. (I fill them by getting a
chair and opening the windows from the top.) I can stand right by
the window and they don't seem to be bothered by me, if I don't make
sudden moves. No squirrel problems.
I have never seen a mockingbird near my house (closest was 3 miles
away, at the closest gas station). I'm in deep woods. I get a downy
woodpecker at the suet basket, but he prefers to just pop up to the
feeder. I've also seen a wren pick at it, and a few chicadees. In
the feeders I mostly get titmice (mouses?) and chicadees. Several
species of sparrow. A red-belllied woodpecker that landed a few times
but flew away.... I think he feels too big to be there. One female
cardinal (the male eats what others drop to the ground). Juncos have
just recently decided to leave the ground and try the feeder.
Last year I had an indigo bunting stop by a few times, but have not
seen him this year. So gorgeous!
Kira