Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Marcy Hege

Default Answer about snakes

More about the copperheads...my dog was onl 6 months old when he got his first
cooperhead bite. I had let him out and he was back in the house in about 10
minutes. About 45 minutes later, I noted that his neck had doubled in size and
was stretching his collar. Luckily, it was only 5:30 pm so I called our vet and
asked if I could rush him over. The vet took one look, commented "first
cooperhead bite for this season", gave the dog a shot and some other meds.
Luckily, he was fine the next day.

Later that summer, I saw him with a black snake wiggling in his mouth. Seems
dog thinks snakes are just wiggly sticks. FWIW, we haven't had another
cooperhead event.

My advice...snakes are out so pay attention.