Old 01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

Default Fragrant purple roses! was Which darn catalog?

Only get one. Roses grow and usually rather quickly. Two would be way
too much for the pot at full size. You may want to verify that these
minis will survive in a pot that size long term.

Whew! Glad I only need 4 and not 8!

This cultivar (under several different names) is sold largely for hanging
baskets. From what I have read on a number of web pages, it is better
adapted to hanging baskets than other minis because of its tendency to
spread or trail. My hanging baskets (measured them today) are 14" across.

http://www.uncommongarden.com/r/sweetchariot.html describes its growth
habit, and look at the color!

Minis have the same
light requirements as full size roses. Do you get at least 6 hours of
direct light on your porch or, at least on the spot where the baskets
would hang?

Yes, the front porch faces south.

I have bluish lavender, lavender and white, and pinky-lavender glads;
echinacea; and Stargazer lilies across the front of the house below the
porch, and three very healthy and happy bushes of Secret (HT). If the large
roses are happy, there must be enough light.

I'm another purple / lavendar / mauve fan and a major rose lover. I
have two Blue Girl rose bushes in my front yard that tend to bloom
lavendar. (Purple is also the major accent colour inside my house.

How fragrant is Blue Girl? What kind of scent?

I have read literally hundreds of descriptions of minis and large roses
since I posted the initial query (obsessive tech writer!), and it appears
that nearly all minis are practically fragrance free, except for the purple
ones, and they are very fragrant. Finally someone is getting it right!

For full-sized roses, I plan to order Jackson & Perkins Lavender Twilight
collection,
http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/cgi...play?prmenbr=2
01&category_sel=68&prrfnbr=53341

which has three very different purple roses, all fragrant. I am also sorely
tempted by Tigress, not only is it fragrant and flashy, my kennel name is
similar, Tigris (for the river by which the ancestors of my dogs hunted in
1800 BC).
http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/cgi...splay?cgmenbr=
201&cgrfnbr=70&header_sel=

I currently have no lavenders (Streisand was in a small bed out by the road
and croaked last summer in the drought when I was laid up and couldn't drag
a hose that far). Have you tried Barbra Streisand? Lovely color and shape
and a lot of fragrance.

I am also considering (if the remnants of the tax refund aren't gone by
then) a grandiflora called Fragrant Plum.

http://www.heirloomroses.com/express...at=38&item=588

And either Blue Girl or Stainless Steel for something pale and elegant.

Then I will be out of bed space across the front of the house!

laurie (purple AND fragrant? Absolute HEAVEN!!!)

-- laurie brooke adams (Mother Mastiff) mastiffs at mindspring dot-com
***If a DOG could choose whether to just be beautiful, or to be sound
and healthy TOO, what do YOU think the dog would choose?***
(C) 2003 My words are my own. If you want to use them, ASK ME FIRST.

Exchequer Leghorns, Welsummers, several lines of Marans, some with feather
legs
Chicks only, accepting reservations now for 2003