Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Diane

Default Fragrant purple roses! was Which darn catalog?

Susan H. Simko wrote:

snip

As I have told people interested in roses, ordering from Jackson &
Perkins is a very different experience than buying a J&P labelled rose
at Lowes or Home Depot. For one thing, ordering direct you are going to
get what you want plus lots of info on the rose. Picking one up at
Lowees or HD, you better know what you're shopping for and be able to
identify it by sight as things aren't always labelled or may be
mislabelled.

I've been very happy with mail orders from Jackson and Perkins.

I currently have no lavenders (Streisand was in a small bed out by
the road and croaked last summer in the drought when I was laid up
and couldn't drag a hose that far). Have you tried Barbra Streisand?
Lovely color and shape and a lot of fragrance.

Not yet. Don't feed the obsession. *grin* THough I do have a spot in
the backyard that I'm thinking may be just perfect for a rose.... *laugh*

Yes, please, don't feed it! I opted for Blueberry Hill this year instead of
Barbra, but am still feeling sorely tempted by Barbra. My back is keeping
me from the purchase since I will have to create another amended bed in my
red Carolina clay to make room. I will let you know how how Blueberry
Hill rates for color and fragrance in a few months. I purchased this one
locally in a pot.

And either Blue Girl or Stainless Steel for something pale and
elegant.

Lagerfeld rates in the pale and elegant category with a great fragrance too,
but is not a robust rose. Requires pampering. But worth it for the color
and bloom form.

Diane

--
Diane