Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Fragrant purple roses! was Which darn catalog?

[hoping I've successfully snipped while simultaneously attributing posts to
the correct people]

"Susan H. Simko" wrote in message

Sounds like we have similar tastes though I am a little more eclectic
with my colour mixes outside. It's mostly purple, mauves, pinks and
white but there are some splashes of other colours through out.

I realize that I've been late jumping into this thread, but have you tried
Heirloom? I planted one a while back at the suggestion of my oldest &
dearest friend (from 4th grade!), and I smelled the Heirloom that was
blooming when I visited her recently -- Wow! It smelled really "rosy" to
me, much like a famous perfume (Joy by Patou?) that I couldn't stand to be
around because it was *so* rosy.

I love Double Delight, although I can't understand how the catalogues can
classify it according to color -- to me, it looks like vanilla ice cream
dipped in raspberry sauce -- but it smells wonderful. Another one I
recommend for fragrance is Abraham Darby -- I planted another one this
spring because I liked the smell so much. BTW, I know *nothing* about
growing roses -- I just know which ones I like!

As I have told people interested in roses, ordering from Jackson &
Perkins is a very different experience than buying a J&P labelled rose
at Lowes or Home Depot. For one thing, ordering direct you are going to
get what you want plus lots of info on the rose. Picking one up at
Lowees or HD, you better know what you're shopping for and be able to
identify it by sight as things aren't always labelled or may be

mislabelled.

After my really bad experience with my first -- and only -- mail order
with Jackson & Perkins, I confess that I'll stick with buying J&P at the
local garden center. Ordering individual plants from J&P probably works,
but I can NOT recommend buying any of their collections. (To be fair, J&P
did contact me after I posted about my experience with them from last year,
after I posted to the Garden Watchdog website. It was only pure luck that
they delivered the replacement plants when I was in town, as they *never*
contacted me after I gave them the requested delivery information.)

So, where is that rain they've been predicting, anyway? I knocked myself
out yesterday putting down fertilizer "before the storm" -- and nothing,
nada, zilch!

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh