Old 01-05-2003, 09:08 PM
John Rutz

Default A Lesson On Water Levels

BenignVanilla wrote:
First off, my apologies for crying like a ninny in 12 different threads
about my VF problem. I appreciate you listening to me vent, and I appreciate
all of the advice I have received. Before I do any more digging, I want to
make sure I understand how nature is working. This is my attempt to take my
12 threads, and make them 1.

This post is meaningless without a fixed width font...

1 2
_ _
| | _ _
|^^^| |^^^|
| 3== | |
| | \\| |
| | ==="-|
-----

2 is my reservoir pond. 1 is my VF. The pond (2) has a bottom drain that
connects to a pipe that runs along the pond floor and then angles up. This
pipe then empties into the VF (1). Originally the output (3) was above the
water level (^^^) in the pond (2). I am working to drop this level down and
dig the VF deeper. If I get this pipe below the water level (^^^) in the
pond (2) and I get it below the water level (^^^) in the VF (1), will the
water equalize to the same level (^^^) just above the pipe (==)?

BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

yes but it still wont flow uphill as fast as your pump so as soon as
the pipe in the vf gets near the top of the water you lose siphon
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

see my pond at: