Old 02-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Eric Haines

Default Free wildflower identifier and quiz maker on web

I made a wildflower identification program some years ago and put it
on the web: http://www.acm.org/tog/editors/erich...s/flowers.html

It's hardly perfect, but still can be handy and educational in a
number of ways. Surprisingly, this site is the first hit that comes up
on Google when searching for "wildflower identification".

For May Day I've extended the program and made a wildflower quiz
creator: http://www.acm.org/tog/editors/erich...lowerquiz.html

You can be quizzed about the whole database, or you can choose just
certain characteristics, flower types or specific flowers, and types
of questions. Each quiz is unique, as it's generated by the computer.
Admittedly, this isn't always a great idea, as you can get questions
like, "Does the Common Blue Violet have a blue or violet flower
color?"

I made this program just because; there's no advertising, spam, or
other random junk associated with it (though I guess I could earn a
dollar or two from people buying flower books from Amazon through my
links).

The program (a Perl script) and database are open source and available
for download if you feel like messing with it.

Coming soon: a bird identifier and quiz-maker (I'm in the midst of
cleaning up the original data for this database).

Have fun, and happy May Day,

Eric