Old 02-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Mark Prout

Default Am I killing my phalaenopsis???

Isabel:

Can you post a picture of the affected plants at
alt.binaries.picures.orchids? Then we can perhaps offer more exact opinions.
They do indeed sound sunburnt. Dead tissue does invite rots. After cutting
the dead tissue away, treat with a fungicide (Physan) and perhaps dust with
cinnamon. A chartreuse green is probably the best leaf color for most phals.

Best of luck.

Mark

From: MeMyselfAndI
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.orchids
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 02:53:45 GMT
Subject: Am I killing my phalaenopsis???

Purple for me in Phals means they're getting as much light as they can
possibly handle. A better color is green, that means they're getting
enough. But brown or black sounds like the leaves got burned (your
window acting like a magnifying glass on a bug) and now it has some kind
of rot. Depending on how many leaves you've got, how many are burned,
etc. you can decide to either treat the problem (others in the group
probably have better suggestions than I) or cut it off before it
spreads. For longer term care, move the plant further from the window
and see if it's happier.

Isabel Burns wrote:
Hi all,
My name is Isabel and I am new to the news group...

I have a few phalaenopsis and some of the leafs have started to turn an odd
colure. I have had one before that went a purpley colure and I was told that
is ok... but now two of my plants are getting a brown or black over the
leafs. Is this a good thing??? Am I killing them??

I have them inside on a windowsill where they get afternoon sun... is it too
much for them? Should I have some shade cloth over the window?? I live in
Australia so the sun can get hot down here??

I hope someone out there can help me
Thanks
Isabel