Old 02-05-2003, 10:56 PM
saki

Default Thornless roses

Daniel Hanna wrote in
home.com.au:

In saki wrote:
I'd have to look closely but I think that Gruss an Aachen is also low-
thorn and makes a nice cut flower if that's the direction you'd like
to go.

Not sure I'd agree with either of those comments, Saki! My Gruss has
thorns, and I wouldn' regard any cluster-flowered rose as ideal for
picking.

I realize that my standards for vase flowers are a little different from
most folks. :-) I don't have many long-stemmed flowers and make do with
smaller arrangements replicating cottage-garden-style-in-a-vase, if that
makes any sense.

Gruss an Aachen actually works well within this scheme; a cluster of Gruss,
a single Reine Victoria, a stem of some mini like Carolina Lady or Ruby,
some scented geraniums (in flower), a sprig or three or five of lavender
for background, and you have your arrangement. Keeping it low and full
seems to complement such a mix.

Some of my roses without substantive stems look nice floating singly or
doubly in a bowl of water, like a water lily. Gruss, Colette, Yantai and
even Purple Buttons work well this way.

My Gruss is almost thornless, but maybe I just got lucky.

----