Old 03-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Mature Oak leaves with odd deformity

Brent,

Even though cool, wet springs bring on an outbreak of Oak Leaf Blister, I
think that perhaps last summer's drought may have made the tree more
susceptible. (Anybody else read the paper and marvel to learn that there
were worse-case scenarios past "severe" drought?)

I noticed that on the website you mentioned that this blister is described
at least twice as affecting the appearance of the tree, but not its health.
Therefore, before you do anything to treat a 60' tree, I respectfully
suggest that you might want to talk to a tree expert first.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Brent Harsh" wrote in message
m...
Anyone else have this fungus going on this year? It sounds like cool, wet
springs really bring on a severe outbreak and my one huge oak has been
really badly hit:

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactS...oakblister.htm

(Actually, I just started to ask "does anyone know what would cause
blisters on my oak leaves?" when I decided a Google first would be a good
idea... that answered *that* question).

Anyway, from the webpage I found, it sounds like the spores could
overwinter and cause this to flare up again next spring. Has anyone had
this before and actually tried to do something about it? If I did want to
treat the tree (a 60' oak), how? Is it even feasible?

Thanks,
--
Brent Harsh - KD4PBO
Cary, North Carolina, USA