Old 04-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Lou Minatti

Default Oleander/toxicity revisited

(Thalocean2) wrote in message ...
Here's a good guide to some toxic plants and their degrees of toxicity.

Oleander is listed as "Extreemly" toxic.
http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/bytox1.htm

Some wive's tales are true and save lives.

I have a yard filled with Oleanders. Blooming spectacularly right now,
I might add. Oleander's are nature's most wonderful large shrubs, IMO.
I know of no other plant the produces such amazing displays with so
little work.

I also have two young children, who have never shown even the
slightest interest in eating my Oleanders or cooking a hot dog over an
open fire using a branch from one of the Oleanders.

So before I kill my Oleanders (and Azaleas, WHICH ALSO CONTAIN DEADLY
POISON AND CAN KILL YOU IF YOU EAT ENOUGH OF THEM!!!!) to protect
them, can someone point out the number of people who have actually
been killed by ingesting the required 40+ leaves from an Oleander,
which tastes extremely bitter and nasty? Has ANYONE been killed say,
within the past 100 years? Genuine statistics, please. Thanks.