Old 04-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Gregory Young

Default Feeding fish

In nature Koi , which are benthic fish (bottom feeders), tend to browse all
day. Food is constantly being brought in via water currents, etc.
For best health and growth, esp. in first 3 -4 years, when Koi growth is at
its peak, you really should feed them 6 times per day! That is how many
breeders get the great growth you see in quality Koi.
That being said, I am lucky to feed them twice daily, and usually only make
it once daily.
If you want fast growth, and healthy fish, feed balanced foodstuff. You can
even purchase an automatic feeder, that you can program to scatter food
multiple times a day, in controlled amounts.
Frequent, small, feeds are best for most animals, no question, but you have
to be practical..
Happy ponding,
Greg

"Priscilla McCullough" wrote in message
I leave to early for work in the mornings to feed.
Its still dark here when I go to work. :-(
Priss
"John Rutz" wrote in message

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
On Sat, 03 May 2003 18:00:41 -0500, Priscilla McCullough wrote:

How often do you feed your fish?
I feed every evening on weekdays and on weekends I give them a
little something that morning to. I just like to watch them go to
town. lol Priss

I feed only in the mornings 'cause I've heard, and it made sense to
me, that fish metabolism is lower at night and food might not digest
properly. If I miss a morning I just wait 'til next day.

Cybe R. Wizard

I feed only inthe mornings too but thats cause my Koi wont eat after
lunch - seriously
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico