Old 05-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Jody

Default champagne or wine yeasts for DIY CO2?

Wayne Jones used to hang-out in this group a lot, and he had lots of good
advice on yeasts and such. I dug-up on old response and am pasting it in
below just as an FYI.

Hey Wayne, what's that strain of wine yeast you have suggested before?
Sorry I can't remember.

Lalvin KV-1116 is the best that I have tried. I always thought before
that this was S. Cerevisae but it turns outs that S. Cerevisae is
composed of many strains of which Lalvin KV-1116 is only one. Any S.
Cerevisae seems to work fine though and I am sure that there are many
out there that will work even better. You can get super high alchohol
tolerant yeasts but I am not sure that is a good thing. If you do manage
to attain 20% alchohol content some of the methanol which is quite
volitile might make it into your fish tank. After all we are trying to
make CO2 and not high percentage alchohol drinks and any yeast will do
that. The problem with some yeasts with low alchohol tolerance is that
you would need a pretty large fermentor to produce enough CO2. There is
also the cost of the yeast. It can cost as much or more than the sugar.

Wayne

"SLEngst" wrote in message
I'm mixing a Lalvin wine yeast with baking yeast and get both a fast start

and
a longer lasting batch than with just the baking yeast.