Old 05-05-2003, 01:08 PM
SugarChile

Default Rat poison, was Mulch against home?

My experience has been different.....I had a wonderful cat that ate a
poisoned mouse/rat. She drug herself home in her death throes, too late for
us to save her. It was not a pretty death. A while later I had a 6 month
old golden retriever pup, who ate some of the poison. This time we knew
what was happening, and got him to the vet in time, but it was still touch
and go.

The idiot neighbors who had been putting out the poison finally moved. They
kept a dog on a chain in the backyard; she would scatter her food, which
attracted rats, so they scattered poison about. The stuff my dog found had
been tossed, or dragged, into my yard.

So while I'm sincerely glad your dog was ok, it doesn't mean that rat poison
is not potentially very harmful for dogs and cats.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"JNJ" wrote in message
Be careful with that stuff if a dog gets ahold of a rat that has eaten

it,
you can kiss the dog by too.

FWIW, I concur with Lar -- the only time this typically becomes an issue

is
with a small dog (say 10 lbs or under) and even then the dog would have to
injest a fairly decent amount at a single sitting (depending upon the
poison). A close friend is a professional pest control guy and we've
actually used stuff not available in stores as well -- my 30 pound
lab/terrier mix got ahold of some and she was fine. This of course does

NOT
mitigate the need for caution obviously, but it does at least ease some of
the concerns.

James