Old 05-05-2003, 01:08 PM
James

Default Serpentine soils?

I just bought a house on some acres on El Dorado County, California.
What are your experiences with Serpentine soils? I am on a ridge with
red soil full of green rocks. I understand Serpentine soils are high
in heavy metals. ..."Food crops and livestock are susceptible to
picking up and even concentrating heavy metals - a factor to consider
especially if grown for consumption..." So, I am considering building
raised beds and bringing in better soil for my vegetable garden. Also
how concerned should I be about asbestos?

Thanks,
James