Old 05-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Judanne

Default Silent as the tomb..........

I am SO envious of the rain that you others have had. Here in the Tamar
Valley (www.tamarvalley.com.au, by the way) we've had two spits of about 5
minutes each since the beginning of the year. There was a week of
threatening weather which was annoying as it just hovered around but didn't
produce. It did rain last Saturday week and I cheered and leapt about the
place in joy, but it only lasted long enough to wet the surface (really,
about 5 minutes) and then was gone again. My grass is brown. I don't
water. Things either survive or they arn't meant to be here is the way I
think about it, but I'm learning things.

Next time I plant trees, it will be in Autumn after the summer dry spell has
broken. Bought some natives last year and planted them in late spring.
They were meant to be a noise break as I live just a few metres from the
West Tamar Highway. In the pots in the back yard, none of the critters
touched them, but as soon as they went in the ground it was "Hey, look what
she's planted for us" and between being nibbled to death and no rain I have
6 left out of 14.

What surprises me is how well the established trees are doing. It seems
that its just the plants with surface roots that are having a hard time.
Hopefully I'll have the land fenced to keep critters out before too long and
I'll put in some deep mulch beds to help with drought proofing for next
summer.

Tassie at least, is getting warmer and dryer. There was a time when you
could never count on a sunny weekend, but it has been the opposite this
season. Roll on autumn and winter. I have a temperature comparison on my
home page between Coffs Harbour, Melbourne, Hobart and Launceston. This
year we have usually been on a par with Coffs, warmer than Hobart, and as
for Melb, warmer that its cool days and cooler than its hot days (but thats
a place of extremes). Amazing what the geography can produce in a
difference of 300+ ks (Bass Strait).

Judanne