Old 05-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Fran Higham

Default Wood pile...

"Sarah Carter" wrote in message

I've got to clear up a load of wood which is lying around on the ground

and
want to chop it up to burn when we have finally got our log burner done.

I was thinking about storing them next to a wall to maybe give extra
insulation to the house as it is single layer brick. However, have been

told
that this might be a bad thing as making sure that the logs can air is a
good thing and might make the house damp. Anyone have any tips?

I'm in the UK

Hi Sarah

I don't think that the wood will do much to improve the insulation and from
the houses I do know here in a cold climate which are single skinned, they
just get worse with any sort of encouragement for damp and cold to build up.

The wood will need good air circulation to dry it out if it is still green
but then given that the Uk has a mcuh wetter climate than here I would also
suggst that you put it under cover if you can (ie under a roof rather than a
tarpaulin).