Old 06-05-2003, 03:20 AM
JNJ

Default Rat poison, was Mulch against home?

My experience has been different.....I had a wonderful cat that ate a
poisoned mouse/rat. She drug herself home in her death throes, too late

for
us to save her. It was not a pretty death. A while later I had a 6 month
old golden retriever pup, who ate some of the poison. This time we knew
what was happening, and got him to the vet in time, but it was still touch
and go.

In each of these cases you're talking about an animal that is under 10
pounds -- as I noted in my post:

the only time this typically becomes an issue
is with a small dog (say 10 lbs or under) and
even then the dog would have to injest a fairly
decent amount at a single sitting (depending
upon the poison).

The smaller the animal, the higher the probability it will die. Even still
it is far from common.

The idiot neighbors who had been putting out the poison finally moved.

They
kept a dog on a chain in the backyard; she would scatter her food, which
attracted rats, so they scattered poison about. The stuff my dog found

had
been tossed, or dragged, into my yard.

Neighbors can be a problem. We live in Cincinnati, affectionately known as
the "Seven Hills" because the area is so hilly. There's also still quite a
lot of woodland around some of the neighborhoods, such as mine and that of
course is quite inducive to rat popluations. My neighbor has problems with
rats and does not treat them -- as such, when she finally DOES do something
about them, they end up burrowing into our basement. She's not terribly
smart about how she does it either (or most other things), so I am always
looking for her latest foolishness and I shudder at the thought of her using
poison baits outside the home.

So while I'm sincerely glad your dog was ok, it doesn't mean that rat

poison
is not potentially very harmful for dogs and cats.

Never said that.

James