Old 06-05-2003, 03:20 AM
SugarChile

Default Rat poison, was Mulch against home?

"JNJ" wrote in message
My experience has been different.....I had a wonderful cat that ate a
poisoned mouse/rat. She drug herself home in her death throes, too late

for
us to save her. It was not a pretty death. A while later I had a 6

month
old golden retriever pup, who ate some of the poison. This time we knew
what was happening, and got him to the vet in time, but it was still

touch
and go.

In each of these cases you're talking about an animal that is under 10
pounds -- as I noted in my post:

Not trying to quibble, James, but my dog at the time was about 50 lbs. or
so. And most people don't value their companion animals on a per pound
basis.

So while I'm sincerely glad your dog was ok, it doesn't mean that rat

poison
is not potentially very harmful for dogs and cats.

Never said that.

Never said you did!! Again, not trying to quibble with you personally, just
trying to point out that choosing to use rat poison can have unexpected
consequences. I've seen recommendations for securing it inside a length of
pvc pipe, so cats and dogs can't get to it, but that is not foolproof
either.

And I'm with you on the scary/stupid neighbors. We have a set right now
that could be the poster children for white trash--continually cursing out
their kids, burning stuff in the backyard, parking various vehicles in
various states of repair all around the property....Luckily, most of the
neighbors are great people, so we try to focus on the positive.

Cheers and peace,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA