Old 06-05-2003, 02:21 AM
R & L Porter

Default Cross pollination?

"jammer" j@mmer wrote in message
Hi again..

I have 3 different kinds of rose bushes. Sorry, Oklahoma is the only
name i remember. I thought one was a Tropicana? Anyway, they started
out peach, dull pink, and red. Now they are about 6 shades. Thank
Goodness the bush retains it's original scent as they are all
different. And the color change doesn't annoy me, especially since i
have a brilliant deep pink one for the first time this week, but i am
just curious, is this the work of the bees and butterflies?

Hi,
I'm not sure that I completely understand your question. Are you saying
that all 3 rose bushes are each displaying 6 different shades, or one in
particular? There are roses that change colour, so to speak, as the bloom
ages. Some start off purple and fade to gray, some start off pristine white
and age to blush before the petals fall, and every variation in between!
Some
roses are multi-coloured to begin with, and show several different colours
on
one bloom all at the same time. And rose colouration will also vary with
the
soil, the heat, the cold, the amount of sun, etc.. A rose that is hot pink
in
my garden might be closer to blush in a much hotter climate. You get the
idea.

Laura