Old 06-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Shiva

Default Thornless roses

On Mon, 05 May 2003 11:05:12 +1000, Greenie LeBrun
wrote:

I have no actual preferences in colour or scent really but I do like
very dark reds and the coppery colours

I don't know about thany thornless roses in these colors, but my
favorite (and only!) truly coppery colored rose is Pat Austin. It is
one of the David Austin roses, and so has the very heavy, cupped bloom
that nods. The fragrance is really interesting. Part rose, part myrrh.
I am growing mine on one of those obelisk things that stand maybe four
feet tall? The larger Austins grow like climbers here. This is one of
the truly distinctive Austins. Very orangy, very coppery, very shaded.
I love it.

though as you can see I am not
stuck on them. A couple of my favorites are "Super Star" a vermillion
colur with a scent and "Tickled pink" a long lasting (up to a week in a
vase) long stemmed pink (obviously) highly scented rose.

I don't know these roses. I always love scent, though.

I am moving away from the low bush styles to the two to three foot
standards as the ground seems to be getting further away each year ;-)

I do know what you mean. I like grandifloras, they are a nice cross
between hybrid teas and floribundas, can be gangly but you can keep
them shaped. The blooms grow in sprays, but as I mentioned elsewhere,
you can pinch out the sidebuds and get great, big, exhibition form
bloom from some of them. Gold Medal is a favorite, a very fragrant
medium sunny yellow with fine cerise edges that bleed just a little
into the yellow like the blush on a yellow delicious apple! It stays
about five feet tall and three feet wide.

And Lagerfeld, a rose with some problems that nevertheless gets good
in about four years, and produces lovely high centered, heavily
perfumed lavendar blooms. (True lavender, not mauve here.)

White Lightnin' is a fragant white grandiflora that is simply my very
favorite white rose. Informal bloom form, ruffly and fruity smelling
and delicious!

Then there is Jude the Obscure. If you can stand the deeply cupped
bloom form, just get it. There is no more strongly scented rose! And
the color is unusual. I call it "butterscotch." I guess it is apricot
but gets some pink tones. It will fill a room with fragrance, stays
about five feet tall and three feet wide with steady cutting for the
table. Delcious rose!

I'm not paranoid, I KNOW the whole world is out to get me.

Don't bother replying via email I am a fictitious entity.