Old 07-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default DIY pond filter/plumbing - my idea possible PLEASE READ!

Banton3206 wrote:
hi!
please reply by email as i might not find this NG again!!

i am almost ready to install pump/filter/plumbing in my 1000gal pond with 10ft
long 2 ft. wide waterfall. I do not plan to have super expensive Koi otherwise
I would look into the costly store bought system. Here's what i plan to do and
I would really apprieciate feedback from any and all!

I was planning to do this - get a strong water pump matched to GPH and head and
pump it uphill above the top of the waterfall. I'll surround this pump in a
mesh cage to keep leaves from clogging it. since i want a strong flow down the
falls, and since the biofilter won't be able to filter all the water i need to
create this effect, i want to divert half the flow to simply go into the falls
with the other half to the filter and then coming out to the falls. (i haven't
even checked with the pros to see if this is OK to do as i might have to
increase GPH since only half of the pumped pondwater will be bio-filtered)
I am looking to build the biofilter myself considering that the hardest
part to get is a watertight PLASTIC barrel.
is this possible? can i do this? any and all help is much much
apprieciated and please don't forget to reply by EMAIL!!!
regards
dave

Hi Dave,
The best container for a diy filter is a Rubbermaid Stock
tank. They are available at farm stores - Agway where I'm
located. Best of all, they come equiped with a bottom drain
which makes it very easy to clean them out.

--
Bonnie
NJ